Monday, April 21, 2014

MERCER ELEMENTARY OBSERVATION #1: Friday April 11th, 2014

On my first visit to Mercer Elementary I was assigned to Ms. Rashid’s 4th grade class. I was cordially greeted by the school principal, the teacher and the students. I honestly feel that, (and this was probably the main factor that made me want to choose Mercer Elementary to conduct my observations) the professionalism and willingness of the staff here is detrimental to the success of the students. From the first moment I contacted the school, and asked to visit in order to observe, they were more than willing to assist me, especially Ms. Rashid. Upon my arrival in the classroom, the students were doing 4th grade mathematics exercises. The class environment is very well set up and I am sure enhances the students’ interest in learning. It is a very colorful classroom, with posters and artwork of the students hanging from the walls. They also have their own small “library”, a couple of bookshelves with numerous books, that the students will either be using in class, for projects like book reports or allowed to take out in order to read at home for leisure or practice. The students sit in a U-shaped desk setting, so that they are always facing each other, but also the teacher at the front of the room who is easily able to move around, checking the students’ work, and constantly be able to maintain a visual of them. From my previous experiences, and observations this semester from different schools, I feel that this is the perfect setting for a classroom, as there is no interference between teachers/students, as long as the teacher is constantly moving around, like Ms. Rashid was. The other thing I thought was excellent was the teacher’s assistance. For the duration of my two hour observation, Ms. Rashid had two assistants in class, who, from what I was told, help her with students who face learning disabilities and require individual attention. There are two students in Ms. Rashid’s class who have learning disabilities, and each one has his own personal support. I think that is excellent and should be implemented in every school possible.

As previously mentioned, the first hour of my observation was a math class, which Ms. Rashid taught with a combination of notes from the board, but also worksheets that that students were working on. I actually had the chance to help some students. It was interesting as the students seemed to know exactly what they needed to do, and the teacher was not constantly being bombarded with questions as in other cases I witnessed. They were talking about the different types of measurements: feet vs. meters, kilos vs. pounds, miles vs kilometers etc. The teacher was bringing in every day examples to help the students understand the differences, but also used visual examples, like posters on the wall or pictures from the internet in order to show them for example what the difference is between a liter of water and a gallon of water. There is a lot of communication in the class. At the end of the first period the students were able to enjoy a five minute snack break and then they headed out to music class. The music teacher, Ms. Kaiser, had the students sit on the carpet, and together they practiced their songs for their upcoming closing school ceremony in May. They have to learn a total of four songs, which they must have been practicing for a good amount of time, as they weren’t struggling with them. The teacher was either singing along with the students, or playing the piano while the students were singing their songs. Both teachers seemed to be thoroughly enjoying what they do and the students seem to love their enthusiasm! Overall a wonderful first observation of Mercer Elementary!  

No comments:

Post a Comment